Tuesday, September 18, 2007

OK, who ever finds my blog, something very strange and enraging came to me the other day. People being desperate for Passports.
It shocks me. It makes me weirdly angry. But why? Maybe I just don't know what they are dealing with, because with a German passport I can go wherever I want? I am not sure, but I didnt think it was so hard for (white) South Africans to pay for a visa...I mean, if you made it to being a Skydiver, you surely know how to make use of your opportunities...
Here is the request and my reply...

"Hey Katha!
i have a big question 2 ask u...!
one of dans friends wants 2 get a european pasport so he can work in europe and the only way he can is 2 marry a european! he is a super cool dude, one of the best skydivers in the world and in exchange for marrying him, you can get an sa pasport and he will teach u 2 skydive !!!!!! wot u think? there dosent have 2 be anything romantic at all u just have 2 stay married 4 5 years!!!!! he is a super super cool dude!"

"dan here. hope you well and loving life. my friend is working for one of the best skydiving teams ion the world and has alot of difficulty getting in and out of europe everytime he has to come do exhibition jumps. so far this year he has been here three times and over to brazil once. he jumped into a crowd of 2million people on th e cococabana in brazil and jumped at the redbull airrace there. he also jumped at the luis batton valencia cup yacht race and is probably comming to portugal in a month or so. he really needs a passport and in exchange can teach you to skydive free of charge. he is one of the best in the world.
please think about it.
hope you are well and happy.
one love
dan"

Dear Dan,
it took me long to reply to this.
I am not sure how you guys live there and think about the world, so forgive me, if I am judgemental or anything, but I am very shocked how easy it seems for you to get married and stay married for 5 years to a person you have never met before... That is not only a long time, it is also the time where other people, if they have a healthy relationship, would probably get married to their boyfriend at my age... So already for that reason I would not just marry any guy for business. (Business as in rip off, what do I get out of it??)

I also dont think you did your homework here.
It is not enough to stay married for 5 years. In these years he would have the same problems getting a visa, until he actually gets a EU Passport. Until then,he would have to STAY in Germany, and he would be MY problem, the home affairs would be calling me, asking me to pay for him (TAX), to get him out of shit, etc.
PLUS, as Amy offered, I wouldnt ever get a South African Passport (not that I would want one!!), I would have to give up my German Citizenship in order to get a South African Passport (some people might have two Passports in your Country, but that is because their parents have different nationalities. In Germany thats not allowed!!)

So here is my opinion:
If he was someone who was contributing something really great to the world, I guess we would make a plan for him to be in Europe. There is other ways to help him than to marry!!

But I don't think Skydiving adds a great lot to our society!

Yeah, it might be fun. But at the same time it is one of those things that only the people who do it understand. To me it is useless! I expect people who do Skydiving to understand the world first, to care for it, to save some energy maybe (how about CO 2 output when you fly in aeroplanes before you jump??), to eat some organic food, to know about recycling, to care about human beings, to lead a generally meaningful life, maybe donate some of the money they spend on skydiving (or get while doing it) to an NGO, maybe go work in the Townships of their own country, where people need help??
Then I would understand them.
I said at the top, I do not know which life you lead, but seriously, a question like the one you asked me didnt look like evidence to a meaningful life, it looked like some Skydiving addicts trying to think up some weired plan!

If he is absolutely desperate to get visas, how about the agencies that do the organization for the events where he jumps applying for him? This is how other sports people do it!! Ask Redbull to get him visas! That would be less illegal too!

Sorry about not being dumb and marrying your friend!
Katha

No comments: